This post-graduation will consist of three modules, each consisting of curricular units, and completing a total of 30 ECTS:
MODULE 1 - Law and Public Policies of the Sea (6 ECTS - 28 hours)
Policy and Strategy in the Economy of the Sea
Objective: political contextualization and macro-strategic of the sea economy in the European Union and Portugal.
- The strategic dimensions of the sea in the 21st century.
- The Integrated Maritime Policy and Strategy for the Atlantic.
- The Maritime Clusters in Europe - references for Portugal.
- The Blue Economy in Portugal.
- Public financing policy and mechanisms of the economy of the sea in Portugal.
- Marine Ecosystem Assessment.
Sea Economic Law
Objective: Legal framework of the economy of the sea.
- Introduction to Law of the Sea.
- The legal regime of maritime spatial planning.
- The Legal Regime of the living and genetic resources and renewable energy.
- Licensing and concessions of economic activities of the sea economy.
- Legal protection of the marine environment.
- Patents of invention.
- Taxation of the sea.
MODULE 2 - Marine Sciences (12 ECTS - 60 hours)
Ecology and quality control of the marine environment
- Basic notions of Marine Ecology.
- Biodiversity and major marine ecosystems.
- Key aspects in the functioning of marine ecosystems.
- Ocean Goods and services.
- Human Impact on the Ocean.
- The use of marine resources for human use.
- Ecological quality of the marine environment and its control.
- Protection and conservation of marine ecosystems.
Coordination and teaching: José Paula.
Maritime Spatial Planning
- Marine spatial planning.
- The policy instruments for planning and management of the maritime space and the coastal zone in Portugal and in the European Union.
- Methodologies for the maritime spatial planning.
- The Territorial Management System in the marine environment and territorial management instruments. Situation Plans and Affection Plans: contents structure and models.
- The articulation of marine territorial management instruments with terrestrial planning. The role of marine territorial management instruments in project licensing: the environmental assessment of the Affectation Plans.
Coordination and teaching: José Guerreiro, Francisco Andrade.
Environmental assessment in the marine environment
- Human actions in the marine environment.
- Environmental licensing in the marine environment.
- Environmental assessment instruments in marine environment: Environmental Impact Assessment and Strategic Environmental Assessment.
- Main methodologies for environmental impact assessment in the marine environment.
- Case studies: Aquaculture, Port infrastructures, Wind farms, Extraction of inertes and Exploration of Oil/Natural Gas.
- The control of the environmental quality of the marine environment in Portugal and in the European Union. The Water Framework and Marine Strategy Directives: parameters and obligations.
- Environmental monitoring in the marine environment: methods and indicators.
Coordination and teaching: José Lino Costa e Francisco Andrade.
- Food production: aquaculture and fish processing.
- Food safety and traceability.
- Applications to health sciences.
- Pharmaceuticals and cosmetics of a marine base.
- Obtaining energy through marine organisms.
- Main technological processes: needs and constraints.
- Innovation, research and industrial development.
- Case studies.
Coordination and teaching: Helena Vieira.
Mineral and energy resources in the marine environment
- Main mineral resources of the marine environment and its applications.
- Prospecting the ocean floor.
- The main energy resources of the Ocean: potential and forms of exploitation.
- Oil and Gas.
- Wind energy in the marine environment.
- Wave energy.
- Others energy uses: tides, thermal gradient, geothermal.
- The water resource.
- Geopolitics, trends, opportunities and constraints to the exploration of the mineral and energy resources of the Ocean.
Coordination and teaching: Fernando Barriga.
MODULE 3 - Economy and Management for projects related to the sea (6 ECTS - 30 hours)
Innovation and entrepreneurship
Objective:promote an entrepreneurial culture and the capacity to innovate to accelerate the creation, dissemination and application of new projects new projects under the Sea Economy.
- Innovation Processes and Development of new products and services.
- Tecnologic innovation - strategic approach to business competitiveness.
Coordination and teaching: Diogo Almeida Alves.
Management and Internationalization
Objective: Share tools to guide the management of the company towards constant capture new business opportunities and to understand the main challenges in creating new business units.
- Systems of corporate governance: investment, protection strategy transfer of technology, intellectual property.
- Business plan: from strategy to financial assessment.
- Internationalization strategies, partnerships, alliances and joint ventures.
- Sustainable management and accounting of blue natural capital in the business sector - Theme assured by Iniciativa Gulbenkian Oceanos (IGO) (Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian).
Coordination and teaching: Nuno Cardeal.
MODULE 4 - Project/Seminar (6 ECTS)
Final project/seminar to be developed by the student, within one of the three Modules (1, 2 and 3) of the course.
It has a duration of 130 hours and takes place on Faculdade de Ciências da ULisboa and Universidade Católica Portuguesa.
Classes take place Fridays and Saturdays: Fridays between 05:00pm and 09:00pm and Saturdays between 09:00am and 01:00pm.
- Application: 50€
- Registration: 100€
- Total tuition fees: 2950€ (5 x 590€)
- Modules 'Law and Public Policies of the Sea' e 'Economy and Management for projects related to the sea':
- Application: 50€
- Total tuition fees: 1250€
- Module 'Marine Sciences':
- Application: 50€
- Registration: 100€
- Total tuition fees: 2500€
- Application forms (download PDF)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Photocopy of qualification certificates (for full course)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel.|Phone: + 351 217 214 129